E-SPEAIT T3

With the evolution of technology and the progress from of simple single player games to massive multiplayer online games, as well  the capability of modern software and hardware, the way that people are able to consume and create media within the confines of a single individual game are plentiful and varied. Simple online games at the time usually limited player interaction within the confines of games primitive mechanics. Having a username and being able to simply participate was a form interaction. Later on not considering MUDs which were entirely based around the concept of having a long lasting story or adventure being typed and narrated by the players involved, other games slowly introduced chat-boxes and voice-chats which opened up even further forms of communication. As games developed and developers learnt more about the social nuances that made people play games, such as MMO's with their guilds, and interactive drop of items rates which made users interact with another to get the in game valuable they wanted, the  banding of players together to overcome a arduous or difficult boss. Auction houses or virtual market zones where players stood with their avatars having their avatars emote into the air declaring their valuables and what they were interested in bartering was a common memory of mine with the games I played when I was young. Even further development of VR technologies have provided a popular game know as VR Chat, which less of a game, but a fascinating way of communication in it's entirety. Just like games that are capable of allowing the user to tailor their avatar and allow the player to think of the first impression they wish to embody or provide as they play, VR chat allow the user to move around the virtual 3D environment in any model that provide compatibility with their equipment. Such a form of communication provides an interesting perspective on anonymity while playing the game

Speaking of how media is distributed online, the online store Steam isn't just a game launcher but a community that allows people who are passionate or even just casually play games to interact with another as the program comes with audio and voice chat integrated. Steam also provides community forums for a myriad of topics ranging from discussions to guides, to random topics, as well as community produced game specific content, as well as a digital marketplace for users to sell and trade in game currency or content. 

Interaction in video games is usually characterized by what is possible with the limited options most games were capable of and some that still choose to have. I found that when I got into games deeply, my day to day cycle of information and media consumption was centered around communities relating to that game till I eventually got bored and moved onto something else. In the modern day it's incredibly easy to get together with people around the world to enjoy games whether it is facilitated by the game itself or not, and I personally really enjoy the communities and people I am able to interact with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E-SPEAIT T14

E-SPEAIT Group Paper Review

E-SPEAIT T2