E-SPEAIT T5

The Case for Copyright Reform by Christian Engström MEP & Rick Falkvinge was an interesting read overall. I wholly agree with the fact that copyright laws in modern times are outdated and still mostly functions on the times of yesteryear. The proposals made by the Pirate Party appeal to me in the sense that having more creative opportunity is always appreciated and making sure that those who wish to keep monopolies on content that should have long been available for fair use is laudable goal. The laws that the Pirate Party suggested changes and reforms too have their ups and things I agree with and some things I have worries about. 

Moral Rights Unchanged, referring to the fact the moral rights of the creators of content to be recognized and protected is something I agree with, nothing much to diverge on this. 

Free Non-Commercial Sharing, the concept that copyright should mainly be enforced on commercial copies rather than private ones. The idea sounds alright in concept that if I would own a copy of a video game, I should be free to privately distribute it with no profit to family and friends, however the problem I see is that in the modern day and age of the internet the enforcement of such is incredibly difficult I'd think.

20 Years Of Commercial Monopoly, makes a lot of sense to me. That fact that certain historical works like music, movies, and books are only now becoming public domain after at times more than 80 years is slightly absurd. 20 years sounds perfectly reasonable time to allow the creater to benefit from their work and then allow the public creativity to blossom afterwards.

Registration After 5 Years, follows after the topic about Commercial Monopoly, in the idea that work without rights owners shouldn't be held to the same protection as those who have people who hold a claim on them.

Free Sampling, the idea that clarifying and setting clear and concise limitations and rules on how works can be make by reusing existing ones in both new creations and fair use scenarios is something I wholeheartedly support. The large amount of experiences detailing how fair use is abused by companies and monopolies preying on small creations have no end. 

A Ban on DRM, brings me back to the Free Non-commercial Sharing topic that since it's very difficult to enforce rightful use of commercial or private works, and the idea that having DRM be completely circumventable to be something I disagree with. However, if copyright legislation progresses to the point of addressing how DRM is to work in tandem to enforce and respect copyright laws then I believe that would be the best blend of both sides.

Overall I agree that copyright has to change, many creative minds and talents are being suffocated in the modern day, and "No business model is worth more than the right to private communication and
freedom of information." as mentioned in the paper, copyright has to be reformed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E-SPEAIT T14

E-SPEAIT Group Paper Review

E-SPEAIT T2