E-SPEAIT T15

On the topic of IT related topic that may pose a topic of debate I would like to write about cybernetics and the difficulties it may face when faced against "Divine Command Theory", or a religion which may be have doctrines, commandments, and beliefs going against what cybernetics seek to achieve. 

To begin with, when I mention cybernetics, I'm defining it as the "The science of control and communications in the flesh and machine, and the ways to bridge these gaps". A few examples that come to mind when I define them as such are robotic limbs that help mimic and provide range of motion to those who have lost certain limbs, implants in the ears to help regain hearing, and even in development technology like brain chips that are meant to allow you to interface with technology in a completely different way. 

So my belief is that we shall face an more prominent emergency of the Divine Command Theory in the future the more relevant cybernetics become, due to the numerous ways cybernetics can become mistrusted. I'd like to mention a few scenarios. One could be the case where people would argue the fact that you wouldn't be a human anymore the more you incorporate machines into you. Then the question would become what distinguishes a human and machine, and on what level of their religion do they think it's too far to continue bridging the gap? I've heard arguments of people placing too much emphasis and expectation on the embodiment of the body and that it is a reflection of the state god intended a person to be in, and cybernetics in turn would ruin the image and become a form of shame and punishment. Another case would be the distinction of the soul and machine in religion and how some religions may place importance on distinction. There are those who argue no soul exists, yet some believe it does and if so why does the soul matter. It could be said that the soul would a be reflection of the body and changes occurring to it also reflect onto ones ones soul and the changes open to interpretation of being bad in the form of scars or good in the form of cohesion, so religion could are both soul and body are necessary to form a human being, yet how do strike the balance of that discussion?  There are also exists the belief that those who will utilize cybernetics would become mockeries of human beings being more close to cyborgs uploading their minds to electronic devices and machinery. Of course we haven't quite reached that level of advancement, though the beliefs that cybernetics would lead to such are not supported by particular parties in the present.

In conclusion, my interpretation of the situation would be that there are those who are concerned about what utilizing cybernetics means for their bodies, and related human aspect emphasized in their religion whether it be about it's purity, reflection of the soul, or just being considered an affront against their god. My personal belief, in not believing in any particular religion, is that those are valid concerns of those who do hold faith and I see no wrong in them refusing to partake in cybernetics, yet the point of which their refusal hurts those who wish to utilize them whether to gain back bodily functionality they lost, or simply because they wish too, then it becomes a problem to a degree.

Source:

Cochlear Implant and Cybernetics

Brains Chips and Islam

Examples of Cybernetic Enhancements

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E-SPEAIT T14

E-SPEAIT Group Paper Review